LYNX-DEV Re[2]: Page that makes Lynx crash

From: Mark Gaither
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re[2]: Page that makes Lynx crash
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 02:29:38 -0500 (CDT)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Jean-Pierre Chevalier wrote:
>

> However, with
>   [X] Show Formatted Output
> checked, it indeed generates the (invalid) output quoted further above.
> Bad Webtechs...

        *Free* WebTechs out of the kindness of your little ol hearts.

> Just for fun, I fed Webtechs' ouput (as captured on your page at
> back to Webtechs, and it was not too happy with it...
> That seems to be partially due to errors in errors in your original
> page (the HTML text of which is included in the output of the first
> run of the validator), partially due to the fact that you introduced
> linebreaks when you transferred the output of the first run of the
> validator to http://www.nyx.net/~jchevali/form2.html, and partially
> due to Webtechs' introduction of <A NAME="lineNNN">NNN.</A> at the
> beginning of each input lines when [X] Show Formatted Output is
> checked.
>
> > I went and tried  `Lynx/2.6  libwww-FM/2.14'  and yes,
> > it also crash.  Just that it does when it reachs the
> > specific page, rather than right after loading, as
> > the older versions did.  I wonder what is in there...
>
> I already quoted to you "what's in there", and you can easily see it for
> yourself.
>
> Anyway, maybe the validator should not create invalid HTML (and it
> appears that it would do that even on valid documents with the
> [X] Show Formatted Output setting).
> [Therefore cc'ed to address@hidden

        Invalid HTML was fed into it in the first place. We don't
        dynamically validate dynamic pages, just the shell HTML document
        that is used to build the dynamic HTML page. Try feeding
        chocolate syrup to your auto's engine. Hack, cough, spit, hurl.

        Did anyone figure out just what was crashing Lynx? Should
        we make the linkable error messages to named anchors an option?
        Would this help? We are willing to help in any way.

        Mark Gaither
        CEO, WebTechs