Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.

From: Robert Bonomi
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 01:04:40 -0600 (CST)

+ Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 17:56:33 +0400 (GMT-4)
+ From: Duncan Hill <address@hidden>
+ To: address@hidden
+
+ On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Robert Bonomi wrote:
+
+ > + If we get a mirrors text file up, then we can say where each ottawa-ca
+ > + is..ie, ftp1 is onet etc..
+ >
+ > there is -nothing- that prevents use of 'longer' names (where necessary or
+ > desirable) either, to wit:
+ >
+ >     ftp.via-onet.ottawa-ca.browser.org
+ >     ftp.via-istar.ottawa-ca.browser.org
+ >
+ > Of course, given that these machines are listed on A WEB PAGE, and probably
+ > accessed that way, rather than via 'raw' FTP, one can put most of the
+ > necessary info in the _text_ of the anchor, rather than having to rely on
+ > it all being in the -name- of the machine.
+
+ You assume all will be using a web browser to get Lynx :>  Some people

To be pedantic about it, I _assume_ only that people will be LOOKING at the
web page to _find_out_ where to download from.  As this is -the- place
where that information is collected/displayed, it seems like a reasonable
assumption.  Given that, the info in the 'text' of the anchor and/or
surrounding commentary is -much- more significant than the actual
'path name' of the resource.  Which, after all, they may well have to do
a 'show source' to see.

+ might be using FTP, and will need to know..in some form or fashion.

I'd -already- conceeded the possibility.  However, given they were
*already* using a web browser to access the information about "where
things are", the probability is that they will go ahead and press the 'd'
key.  and if they -do- go off to run a "real" FTP client, then the
commentary on the web page is -still- there to guide them.  Satisfying
the 'some form or fashion' requirement.   <grin>
;
;