Re: LYNX-DEV Update on SSL and Lynx

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Update on SSL and Lynx
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 08:28:44 -0500 (EST)

What we recently worked out to say in the FAQ on this point is:

   US Export laws and regulations introduce impediments to the inclusion
   of security support in the general distributions of a freeware WWW
   client such as Lynx.

   [1]Tom Zerucha <address@hidden> has two ways to add SSL capability to
   your Lynx installation, as Lynx patches or via a proxy.  He says:

     For now, If someone [2]emails me stating they are a US or Canadian
     citizen in the US or Canada, and promises not to redistribute it, I
     will send them the source to my proxy or the patches.  A PGP key is
     preferred, though the request itself need not be encrypted.

     The only reason I am asking for a promise not to redistribute (and
     not even making it a licensing term) is that they may be illegal
     under ITAR.  What I should say (and actually intend) is distribute
     at your own risk, but I can't :).  I couldn't suggest to people
     that they should drive over 55 until this year either.

     Theoretically the code to either the proxy or the patches is
     protected as free speech under the first amendment, and the
     prohibition of "hooks" is too vague to stand up in court.  The code
     contains no actual crypto, only "hooks" to something that does.

     I am not a lawyer; this is my layman's understanding of the
     situation.  Ask a real lawyer for a real opinion.

     For more information
     start here:[3] [>O-au<]
                (lynx enhanced gold key on envelope)

   Back to [4] Al's picks from the lynx-dev discussion.