Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 14:41:07 -0500 (EST)

  From: Robert Bonomi <address@hidden>

  To be pedantic about it, I _assume_ only that people will be LOOKING at the
  web page to _find_out_ where to download from.  As this is -the- place
  where that information is collected/displayed, it seems like a reasonable
  assumption.

Guess again.  We will make it easy to find that page, and make it
easy to get a download from the page. However, in real life with
real people, all relevant facts get separated and passed along in
mysterious ways, and the actual path name matters, too.  We can't
just optimize the best case.

For people who don't have a web browser yet, you want to be able
to explain in Mail or News how to get it via ftp.  That's the
bootstrap sequence.  And it still matters.

Al Gilman
;
;