LYNX-DEV Re: Chartrans suggestions

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Chartrans suggestions
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 15:40:58 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Hynek Med wrote to me:

> On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> > > - It would be nice to show document charset in document info (=)
> >
> > I'll think about that, but maybe it shouldn't always be shown.
> > It could also become confusing.
>
> Why confusing? Netscape has it, too - like
> Document encoding: ISO-8859-1 (default)
> or ISO-8859-2 (by mime type / by META tag) ..

What, you find Netscape not confusing?  :)
Well it's been a while since I have looked at it.

Lynx+chartrans can get its idea about a document's charset from
  - HTTP header
  - META tag
  - an A tag's CHARSET attribute
  - one of the new command line flags (-assume_charset etc.)
  - the display character set (when -raw)
  - something it remembers
  - iso-8859-1 default
and it doesn't always remember from where it got the idea.

For now, to see what the server sent (if anything) you have to do
a ']' HEAD request (for an HTTP header) or look at the source (for a
META tag).

> > > - What about using a charset delcared by a META tag, too?
> >
> > They should already work.  Don't they?
>
> Oh, do they? Sorry then. :-)
>
> I don't have much pages to test this on, those few that are marked are
> marked by the MIME type..

Well it is a parameter on a MIME media type, wheter it appears in a
HTTP response header or in a META tag..

  Klaus

;
;