Re: LYNX-DEV GNU licence help

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV GNU licence help
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 11:57:15 +0000 (GMT)

> was just one hook of several), the water got murky.  Similarly, if your code
> hooked into a GNU module via a system() call, or a dll or .so or RTL
> mechanism, the water was also murky.  So, the GPL for Libraries (or some
> similar name) was created, and exists in parallel with the origianl GPL.

For the system() call case, RMS has told me that this is allowed by the
normal GPL, and doesn't require the library GPL.  The hypothetical
example used was if SCO were to replace SCO compress by gzip in their
implementation of man.  The phrase he used was something like the GPLed
stuff being "at arm's length".

I'd therefore say that any package that shelled out to Lynx, or which
provided Lynx to act as a hypertext reader for proprietory HTML would
be allowable under the GPL, provided that the licence made it clear that
the proprietory rights didn't extend to the Lynx component, and the usual
rules about provision of source code were applied.
;
;