Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Binary distribution: an evaluation.
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 13:40:58 +0000 (GMT)

address@hidden wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
>
> :I think a tar package for each distribution is reasonable.  It should
> :include the Makefile, the compiled binary, and the various documents
> :and configuration files.  After downloading, the user runs "make
> :install", modifying the Makefile if necessary.

Many Unix systems (e.g. SCO) are distributed without a make command,
except as part of an added cost development system.  The ones without
are the most likely to be used by people who want binary distributions.

> I've placed all the docs in a file called lynx2-6.docs.zip.  It basically
> contains everything that was in the http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/2.6/ so
> there's the CHANGES files, the help files, the about_lynx stuff, the
> sample lynx.cfg, etc.  I've also made the README in the ftp dir say that

Don't forget COPYING (the GPL), plus instructions on how to obtain the
souce for the next n years.
;
;