Re: LYNX-DEV Unixware-Slang Compiling...

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Unixware-Slang Compiling...
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 16:02:20 -0700

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> writes:

>On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Jason Sizemore wrote:
>
>> Question: What do I type at my Unix prompt to use this? Normally I would
>> type `lynx' to access the ISP's version, but I want to use my own now of
>> course! =)

[stuff deleted]
>If you use sh, bash, zsh, ksh, or another bourne-shell derivative, look in
>.profile and look for a something like:
>
>       set PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:.
>
>and insert your path before it:
>
>       set PATH=/home/Titus/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.
>
>If you use csh or tcsh, look in both .login and .cshrc (and/or .tcshrc)
>for something looking like one of the following:
>
>       set path=(/bin /usr/bin .)
>       setenv PATH=/bin:/usr/bin/:.
>
>and again stick your path in front of the other paths:
>
>       set path=(/home/Titus/local/bin /bin /usr/bin .)
>       setenv PATH=/home/Titus/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.
>
>It may take some playing around to get it right, but you can type 'which
>lynx' at the prompt to find out where the shell will go when you type
>'lynx'.

Everything so far is just fine but...

>Note that these files are only read on login, so you must log out
>and back in for the changes to take effect.

Not so, you can type

   source .login

to reread .login with csh/tcsh (substitute .cshrc or .tcshrc in place of
.login if needed) or

   . .login

if you use sh, etc.. (again, substituting whichever file you changed for
.login) [Note: I don't use sh and company, but I'm pretty sure that the
above command is correct.]

Finally, if, for some reason, you find you need to leave the location of
your new lynx out of your path, or in your path, but after the location
of the system version, check out the alias command (may be csh/tcsh only)
as a way to run the lynx you want (even including command line switches if
needed) by just typing 'lynx'.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,