Re: LYNX-DEV Lynxprog restrictions?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynxprog restrictions?
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 19:33:26 -0500 (EST)

Roger Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
>Ok here we go:
>Lynx.cfg
>
>LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ALWAYS_ON:FALSE
>LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE:TRUE

        That's good.  It says that Lynx will only act on lynxexec
or lynxprog URLs if they are links in file:/localhost/... documents.

># If LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINK_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE is TRUE, and no TRUSTED_EXEC
># rule is defined, it defaults to "file://localhost/" and any lynxexec
># or lynxprog command will be permitted if it was referenced with a URL
># beginning with that string.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I do not understand this:
>do this mean lynxprog:file://localhost/... ??

        No, the execution link should just have the command following
the scheme, e.g,  <A HREF="lynxprog:pine">mail</A>
but that must be in a file obtained via a file://localhost URL.

>  If you wish to restrict the referencing
>URL's
># further, you can extend the string to include a trusted path.  You also
>can
># specify a trusted directory for http URL's, which will then be treated
>as
># if they were local rather than remote.  For example:
>#
>#       TRUSTED_EXEC:file://localhost/trusted/
>#       TRUSTED_EXEC:http://www.wfbr.edu/trusted/
>#
>TRUSTED_EXEC:file://localhost/home/rhill/boats/

        That means the lynxexec or lynxprog link must be in a file
such as file://localhost/home/rhill/boats/index.html

>Again I read that to mean that TRUSTED_EXEC applies to file: and http:
>URL's, not lynxprog:.

        Right, but you've ruled out most http servers via

LOCAL_EXECUTION_LINKS_ON_BUT_NOT_REMOTE:TRUE

and with your TRUSTED_EXEC rule the files with execution links must
have been obtained in or under a particular subdirectory on your
local system.

>>          Options Menu (Lynx Version 2.6)
>>
>     E)ditor                      : jed
>     D)ISPLAY variable            : NONE
>     mu(L)ti-bookmarks: ADVANCED  review/edit B)ookmarks files
>     F)TP sort criteria           : By Filename
>     P)ersonal mail address       : address@hidden
>     S)earching type              : CASE INSENSITIVE
>     display (C)haracter set      : ISO Latin 1
>     Raw 8-bit or CJK m(O)de      : ON
>     preferred document lan(G)uage: en
>     preferred document c(H)arset : NONE
>     V)I keys: OFF    e(M)acs keys: OFF     sho(W) dot files: ON
>     popups for selec(T) fields   : ON
>     K)eypad mode                 : Numbers act as arrows
>     li(N)e edit style            : Default Binding
>     l(I)st directory style       : Mixed style
>     U)ser mode                   : Advanced
>     user (A)gent                 : Lynx/2.6  libwww-FM/2.14
>     local e(X)ecution links      : FOR LOCAL FILES ONLY

        That what you put in lynx.cfg (not remote), so the X
 choice will be only FOR LOCAL FILES ONLY or OFF.

>So, what am I missing?

        Your TRUSTED_EXEC rule is probably the reason, i.e.,
the lynxexec or lynxprog links probably weren't in foo.html
files in or under that subdirectory (except for jump files,
which are always OK if "local e(X)ecution links" is ON).

                                Fote