Re: LYNX-DEV Encoding: x-gzip

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Encoding: x-gzip
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 09:55:47 -0500 (EST)

"Kapil H. Paranjape" <address@hidden> wrote:
>I am using Lynx version 2.6 and have the following problem/query.
>Lynx displays text/html files which are gzip correctly but does not do
>the same for files that need to be pass to an external viewer (for
>example a file something.html.gz is displayed but a file test.xbm.gz
>is not passed to an external viewer). Is this a bug or does something
>need to be enabled in the Lynx configuration?

        If it's a local or ftp file, it uses .xbm to determine the
Content-Type based on your suffix maps, and will invoke the viewer
with the uncompressed file if you have that Content-Type mapped to
a viewer/helper app.  Otherwise, it will force a download offer.

        If it's from an http server, it uses the server's Content-Type
and Content-Encoding headers, so whether it uncompresses and spawns
the viewer/help app is entirely dependent on the "competence" of the
the server's setup.

                                Fote