Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Error in

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Error in
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:59:36 -0500

Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> wrote

> address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
> >Can someone explain what this is all about?  I have been seeing an increasing
> >number of these msgs appear here.  Why?  Why should this list be notified
> >when someone's web page is bad or a server is down?
>
>       Read the self-documentation about SYSTEM_MAIL_ERROR_LOGGING in
> userdefs.h and lynx.cfg, and look at the code under  case NOT_FOUND:
> in LYMainLoop.c.  The symbol is FALSE by default, and the warning not
> to change that should be taken to heart.

I am using lynx 2.6 source, with changes dated 12-05.  I did a grep
for SYSTEM_MAIL_ERROR_LOGGING and found nothing in userdefs.h or lynx.cfg
or src.  I did find a MAIL_SYSTEM_ERROR_LOGGING, so I assume you refer
to that.

So it appears that some site has turned this on, so that email goes to
owners all over the net.

And lynx-dev mailing list must be listed as the owner of some of our
FAQ or Help pages, I assume.

This brings up another similar question.  I have also seen an increase on
lynx-dev of almost empty msgs, with the few which have contents seeming to
think this is an address for test messages.  Anyone aware from where these
are coming (I don't recall if the messages have the originating URL in them -
sorry).  Perhaps on some of the intro pages the lynx-users mailing list
should be the 'owner', so that newbies have the user mailing list as their
first point of contact?  Just a thought.

Thanks Fote for the pointer.  When reading about that symbol before, I only
thought of it (and shuddered) with respect to internal pages.  I didn't
even think of the horrid consequences of across the world.  I also didn't
understand from reading this that something would be automatically sent,
without user intervention.  I wonder if some sort of 'Are you sure you want
to harass these folk' type prompt should be added...

;