Re: LYNX-DEV RC4128 & RC440 - newbie question

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV RC4128 & RC440 - newbie question
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:50:55 +0000 (GMT)

> Folks:
>
>      I apologise if this is a faq, but I haven't come across it yet.
> I know with the more recent versions of Netscape (and I assume the
> Microsoft browser) that so called domestic grade encryption as defined
> in RC4128 is supported.  Some of the online systems require this for

The problem is legal, not technical.  There are probably patents on
RC4, there are certainly patents claimed on RSA, which is also needed.
Technically RC4 is a secret algorithm.  In reality there is an
Australian site which carries code to implement it.

Also, if code to support SSL where added to Lynx, the source code
would have to be protected from export from the USA.

;
;