Re: Re: LYNX-DEV future of -book command line control

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: Re: LYNX-DEV future of -book command line control
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:28:37 -0500 (EST)

       * From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>

  Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:

  >The think I think we could prune away is the STARTFILE control in
  >lynx.cfg.  Here's a way that might get more users using what Lynx
  >can do for them: Introduce a RESTART_HERE verb that puts a hidden
  >input in .lynxrc which has the effect of STARTFILE.  The
  >RESTART_HERE is a keystroke command.  It uses the same
  >document/link/cancel intermediate query as A)dd bookmark.
  >
  >One can then interactively change the start-page behavior of
  >his/her personal Lynx, and it doesn't impact the O)ptions screen.
  >
  >[When I say .lynxrc has a hidden input, I mean that there is a
  >field in the file that the program responds to, but it is not
  >reflected in the O)ptions screen either by a display or a
  >control.]

          The STARTFILE definition in lynx.cfg overrides that in userdefs.h,
  and the WWW_HOME environment variable overrides that STARTFILE definition
  in lynx.cfg, and the command line startfile, if present overrides any of
  those.  I don't like the "hidden"  RESTART_HERE suggestion, 'cuz it changes
  the logic in a way that would make Lynx all the more unmaintainable by
  a group, because it has no basic rules/principles on how it works such
  that new would-be developers could catch on quickly.

          I also don't see how your suggestion is fundamentally different
  from a 'g'oto command, and the startfile (and homepage, if different) are
  now entered as the first (and second) entry(ies) in the 'g'oto recall
  buffer.  Perhaps there's something more you want to "restart", but haven't
  spelled out.  ...

Something more (remembered to next Lynx invocation) and something
less (not meant to go there "now").  Sounds like I didn't make
the intended functionality clear.  I am seeking an interactive
way to indicate a new STARTFILE which will take effect on the
should "restart _now_."  Perhaps the name SET_AS_STARTFILE would
capture what it does better.  The intention is that the URL
designated using this command would take precedence over all the
above STARTFILE designations except the command line parameter.
And it is important that it work conveniently to set the
bookmarks page as the new STARTFILE.  That is why the
d)ocument or l)ink choice was suggested -- so you don't have to
do something obscure like move to the history page to set your
bookmarks file as the new STARTFILE.

I suggested caching this in .lynxrc is so the logic is the same
as with the K)eypad-mode setting.  That is just an illustrative
suggestion -- what matters to me is how it works.

<snip>

My model for the typical history of a user's STARTFILE is roughly

        <initial transient>
        -- SysOp sets default to a good tutorial starting point
        -- User gains familiarity with Lynx and Web, builds bookmarks file
        -- User sets favorite bookmark or bookmark file itself as start file
                <without spelling URL or leaving Lynx, by new command>

        <... and then from time to time>
        -- User tastes and interests migrate
        -- User promotes another bookmark to STARTFILE status.

That's what's behind my suggestion -- seeking a handier way to change
startup default than editing lynx.cfg or setting an OS symbol value.

I think that the function of the -book switch is such a good idea that
it should be made even easier to do it.  Not that that function should
go away.  And that when a user is ready to change their startfile,
if they _don't_ want just to start at their bookmarks list, the file
that they do want to start at is on that list 99% of the time.

I toyed with suggesting that this be a bookmarks-peculiar function
like R)emove-bookmark, but felt that the logic was simpler and
clearer if it is available anywhere.

Al Gilman

;
;