Re: Re: LYNX-DEV future of -book command line control

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: Re: LYNX-DEV future of -book command line control
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:05:36 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Al Gilman wrote:

> You have the basic idea.  Re-set the startup URL on the fly
> during a Lynx usage session.
>
> But two small details are critical, here.  First, I don't want
> the user to have to type the URL.  The user selects either the
> current document or a link on the current document -- exactly as
> with bookmarks now.  This means that we don't need to find real
> estate on the O)ptions page or open that can of worms at all.  We
> have dumped enough worms in that can.  I understand that is a
> major undertaking.
>
> The nub of my idea is that setting the STARTFILE should mimic the
> setting of a bookmark.  The only difference in the classes is
> cardinality.  You can have zero or more bookmarks.  You can have
> one and only one STARTFILE (at the .lynxrc or
> O)ptions-screen-equivalent level of precedence).  Otherwise their
> operations are the same.

Ok, you want only PART of the way that IE implemented setting the startup
and search pages.  When you go to the options screen on IE and select
starup and search pages, you can type in a URL and click ok, or click on a
button that says "Use current page" (or something similar).  I'm not
really sure that I see the logic in implementing this portion of it.  I'm
of a mind with Fote about adding things into the .lynxrc that don't show
up on the Options screen.  I hated doing it for the popups but went ahead
and did so since I felt that it was something that the user should have
better control over than having to type in the command line switch or use
a custom lynx.cfg.  I'm glad Fote found a way to fit it on the Options
screen, though. :)