Re: Re: LYNX-DEV future of -book command line control

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: Re: LYNX-DEV future of -book command line control
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 00:12:48 -0500 (EST)

  From: "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden>

  On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Al Gilman wrote:

  > The nub of my idea is that setting the STARTFILE should mimic the
  > setting of a bookmark.

                                                               I'm not
  really sure that I see the logic in implementing this portion of it.

The logic is that when a user gets committed enough to a page that
they want to start there, they have at least gone there and probably
have a bookmark there.  So the raw material to make it easy is
available.
                                                                 I'm
  of a mind with Fote about adding things into the .lynxrc that don't show
  up on the Options screen.  I hated doing it for the popups but went ahead
  and did so since I felt that it was something that the user should have
  better control over than having to type in the command line switch or use
  a custom lynx.cfg.  I'm glad Fote found a way to fit it on the Options
  screen, though. :)

You've got the cart before the horse.  The user has no business
off the current page.  The choices are the current document or
the current link.  They are right before the user.  Why would you
want to avert the user's gaze to some less relevant "options"
page when the issue is plainly before him/her already?

What the user needs to do here is analogous to setting a
bookmark.  It is not analogous to identifying the favored editor,
for which a full low-level path name is necessary.

If you let people type in the URL, they will mistype it.  If they
are selecting a link that they have already used, then they will
get a STARTFILE designation that works.  No spelling errors.  Voila!

..
Sigh.

Anyhow, thanks for listening.

Al