Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Encoding: x-gzip

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Encoding: x-gzip
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 06:58:50 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> >              file:/f1.blah  file:/f2.blah.gz  http:/f1.blah
> > http:/f2.blah.gz
> > MCAP-/MTYP-   TEXT    [1]    TEXT    [1]       DWNL-1 [2]     DWNL-2 [2]
> > MCAP-/MTYP+   DWNL-1  [2]    DWNL-2  [2]       DWNL-1 [2]     DWNL-2 [2]
> > MCAP+/MTYP-   TEXT    [1]    TEXT    [1]       VIEW           TEXT   [3]
> > MCAP+/MTYP+   VIEW           VIEW              VIEW           VIEW
>
> For the bottom-right case (MCAP+/MTYP+/http:/f2.blah.gz) I am getting
> DWNL-2,

..except for the suspicion that what you think is equivalent to the
bottom-right case isnt equivalent (see below)..

> except it is not `application/gzip D)ownload, or', but rather
> with an `x-', i.e., `application/x-gzip'.  This `x-' appears no matter
> how I edit .mime.types.

Let's ignore the difference between x-gzip and gzip to not complicate
things further.  For all practical purposes they are equivalent, Lynx
recognizes both forms.  (My table was not exact in that respect, I
would have to introduce a DWNL-3 symbol; but what Lynx shows in that
Download prompt shouldn't matter anyway.)

> So there is no mistake, in my .mime.types, I have the line:
>       text/x-archive                 arc
> , and in .mailcap, I have the line:
>       text/x-archive; /home/kyoin/nelsonhe/bin/most %s
> , but when I hit return on a link to:
>       http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/9611.arc.gz
> , I get (English equivalent):
>       application/x-gzip D)ownload, or C)ancel.

Try my examples, they are at

Look at the HTTP headers.

Then do the same for http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/9611.arc.gz.

lynx -head http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/9611.arc.gz gives