Re: LYNX-DEV Need to know COUNTRY of links:

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Need to know COUNTRY of links:
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:38:21 -0500 (EST)

> Just a suggestion, to see if anyone else agrees:
>
> When browsing the net, and am at an index page (lots
> of links going out of it, to VAROUS far-off places too),
> I'd really like to know WHERE they are to.
>
> I don't mean the full path name; just the COUNTRY, a TWO-
> CHARACTER name.

Use '\' to view the html source, and the full of the link url will be
available. Last I heard, "mil", "gov", "edu", "org", "int", "net", and
"com" were all US-based, with everyone else in the world using a 2-digit
country code at the end.  [Newer US addresses have the .us appended.]

However, knowing if it's 4:30p local time isn't going to be the
best predictor of response time.  What's the bandwidth of the site?
What's the bandwith of all the hops leading to that site?  How many 12-yr
olds are downloading DOOM right then?

A better approach is "ping -s".  This begs the question, though -- why go
to all of the trouble of finding out if a site is slow when you can jump
in and determine it empirically?

Best,

Barry Rountree

;