Re: LYNX-DEV Who else uses Lynx?

From: Joe Scanlan
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Who else uses Lynx?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:21:00 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Wilhelm Reindl wrote:

> I have been really suprised to find the activity going on here.  I looked
> into Lynx because I do all of my internet work from a 286 [powered by
> marine battery, incidentally] dialup UNIX account, which used to make me
> feel more like a screwball than I do now, or is EVERYONE here a screwball
> like me?
>
> Seriously, I can see the attraction for, for example, universities that
> still have dumb terminals around for student acces on campus.  But who
> else uses Lynx?  Just curious.

I don't know if everyone here is a screwball LIKE you since I don't know
*what* kind of screwball you are.  ;-)  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I
guess I should answer your question.

I use Lynx because I *like* it.  It's more of a feeling than a reason.

At home Lynx has an obvious advantage.  It's much faster to use a
terminal on my ISP's machine at 28.8 kb/s than to use a SLIP connection.
I still use SLIP when I need it but most of what I need on the Web is
text.  I also use Pine for e-mail and tin for news.  Same reasons.

At work I'm a screwball (ah, but what kind?).  I use Lynx on a VMS
machine in a 60 line DECterm window. *Lots* of text all at once!  When
I'm stuck at a Lynx malicious site, I can use Mosaic or Explorer on my
PC; the bandwith is fine but the screen is small.

Lynx is also used by blind/visually impaired users who have screen
readers.  The archives have some messages that will also give you some
more insight on Lynx users.

Also check http://www.lynx.browser.org .

(Way) off topic, so I'd prefer you e-mail me the answer.  How did you set up
your PC to run on a marine (12V?) baterry?  Have you replaced the PCs power
supply and use DC voltage conversion or do you bring your 12V DC up to 110V
AC?

------------- My opinions are mine alone, and that fact -------------
------------- provides intense relief for my coworkers. -------------
Joe Scanlan                                      Clark County, Nevada
Systems Programmer                               Informations Systems
address@hidden (not work)                             PO Box 551761
address@hidden (work)                   Las Vegas, NV  89155-1761
702 455-4932 (FAX)                                                USA

;
;