LYNX-DEV Bug report?

From: Randolph Chung
Subject: LYNX-DEV Bug report?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:00:26 -0500 (EST)

I ran into a little problem when using lynx to access some pages at
http://www.redhat.com/ (yes, I'm a linux user).

After a sequence of steps, lynx would segfault. The problem is somewhat
reproducible -- turning tracing *ON* seems to prevent lynx from segfaulting...

Anyway, the URL I am trying to get to is password protected, so I cannot
post it here. Basically, here's what I do to get it to segfault:

1) go to http://www.redhat.com/redhat/dl.html
2) enter password in a form and submit it, the script
(http://www.redhat.com/redhat/dl.cgi) gives back a page with two links for
downloading files.
  a) http://www.redhat.com/redhat/dl.cgi/******/metroess-3.1.2-1.i38
     (****** is the password)
  b) ftp://metrob:address@hidden/3.1-manual.ps.Z

The first link works fine. The second is the one that causes trouble -- The
url is apparently wrong. It is not accessible via either lynx or netscape,
but if i press 'D'ownload on that link, I get back a "Unable to access
document" message, and it takes me back to the page output by the script
(with 2a and 2b above). If I quit lynx now, it will segfault.

I did an strace on the lynx process and got a trace, but it's a good ~80k,
so i won't post it here. it's at http://tausq.ithaca.ny.us/~randolph/trace
I'm not good at interpreting those traces, but I bet someone here is an
expert :P

If someone knows what's going on, please let me know.

Finally, some system info
tausq[randolph]~> uname -a
Linux tausq 2.0.25 #3 Sat Nov 9 23:57:29 EST 1996 i486
tausq[randolph]~> lynx -version

Lynx Version 2.6
(c)1996 GNU General Public License
<URL:http://lynx.browser.org/>

(this is with the composite patches from Nov 20 or so)

thanks :)
randolph
---
Randolph Chung               @..@   "A smile a day keeps the doctor away." -me
Cornell University          (----)
Ithaca, NY, USA            ( >__< )         - PGP public key: -
http://tausq.ithaca.ny.us/ ^^ ~~ ^^ http://tausq.ithaca.ny.us/~randolph/pgp.txt

;
;