Re: LYNX-DEV ALIGNment problem

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ALIGNment problem
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 14:11:45 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Christopher R. Maden wrote:

> The original HTML was

> blah blah
> blah blah
> <hr>
> <h2>blah</h2>
>
> [Klaus Weide]
>
> Absolutely.  Since a <p> can't contain <h2> (never mind any DTDs -
> it's just not logical), and right alignment is a quality of the <p>,
> the right alignment should end with the <h2>.

I know Fote has alrady commented and fixed the glitch, but I wanted to
pick a small nit here.  The <hr> is actually what ends the <p> as far as
the DTD is concerned.  This is one major problem I saw in Claris Homepage
and one other HTML editor (Navigator Gold?) was that they put HR's in as:

Which is TOTALLY invalid and causes Webtechs to cuss up a storm (well, not
really :) ).  I mentioned it to a friend who was using a beta of Claris
Homepage 1.0, and he said he had noticed it but never mentioned it to
them, so I'm not sure if they corrected it in commercial releases...
Claris was also doing something strange by storing the editor window
location in the HTML document with something like:

<XWINDOW POS=... >

rather than in a comment... <sigh>

I'm reasonably sure that it was Navigator Gold that also exhibited the
<hr> problem, and I reported it as a bug, but no idea if anything will
be/has been done.  (I think I reported it for 3.0, and 3.01 is out now,
but I haven't tried editing with it.)