Re: LYNX-DEV ALIGNment problem

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ALIGNment problem
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:59:58 GMT

[Foteos Macrides]

> Whoop! Whoop!  Expression Police!
>
> If Fote tells you that Lynx does such and such because he likes that
> behavior, you're revealing extreme naivete to think it's
> unintentional, and for someone who has been on this list as long as
> you, Chris, perhaps worse than just naivete. :) :) :)

Sorry - I misread, "I like that behavior," as, "I am glad that Lynx
has this behavior," instead of, "I chose this behavior for Lynx."

I am still going to be critical though - but differently.

As an <hr> can not be part of a <p>, its appearance should imply the
end of the <p>.  The implied end and an express end should be
identical.  Authors who know the DTD may rely on the structure that it
expresses; I rarely, if ever, use </p>.

Likewise, uncontained text should be assumed to be in its own <p>, and
should be handled identically to an explicit <p>.  Thus:

should all be handled identically, IMO.  (FWIW, SGMLS produces an
identical ESIS, mod a few '\n's, for each of these, if anyone cares.)

-Chris
--
<!NOTATION SGML.Geek PUBLIC "-//GCA//NOTATION SGML Geek//EN">
<!ENTITY crism PUBLIC "-//EBT//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN" SYSTEM