Re: LYNX-DEV Question on Lynx capability...

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Question on Lynx capability...
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 21:52:49 +0000 (GMT)

> I'm trying to understand if any versions of Lynx know how to
> interpret the CGI output:
>
>       Location: xyz
>
> where xyz is a legal URL?

Given the number of questions on this list from people with servers/CGI
scripts which handle it wrongly, I would say current versions handle
it rather better than the popular GUI browsers!

Note that Location: from a CGI script, when in absolute form, will
have more radical effects than just adding this header.  In particular,
it will change the status code in the reply from 200, to 30x, with
different values for x indicating permanent, temporary and temporary
but use GET for a PUT form.

This last point is why it is so popular a question.  Many servers are
incorrectly redirecting the results of an ACTION=PUT to a GET operation,
when the correct browser action is to resubmit the form data to the
redirected URL.  The latest Lynx will ask you if you really meant PUT,
really meant GET, or consider that a PUT to a redirected URL is
insecure.
;
;