Re: LYNX-DEV Printing from dumb terminals

From: Albert S Woodhull
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Printing from dumb terminals
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 18:48:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Mike Brown wrote:

> Lynx's (p)rint function can send a formatted, plain text version of the
> page being currently viewed to an external program on the host machine as
> input.  If your sysadmin networked the printers, instead of attaching them
> to the local terminals, s/he could write a simple wrapper script which
> would determine which tty the input is coming from, and pipe the data via
> lpr (or some other print manager) to the appropriate printer.

At Hampshire College, where I often use lynx while logged onto a shell
account on a SunOS system, the p)rint function offers to send such output
to a file, and I can later download this file and print it at home.

The last time I looked Hampshire was still using lynx version 2.2 (:-(),
so perhaps this capability has been lost in more up-to-date versions. I
hope not, it's very useful, and seems to be the solution to the original
problem.

Al