LYNX-DEV (fwd) Re: System defined hotkeys in Lynx?

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: LYNX-DEV (fwd) Re: System defined hotkeys in Lynx?
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 19:17:46 -0800

[Cross-posted from comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc]

My understanding of how lynx works suggests there isn't really a way to
do this.  TAB will get you to the end of a text-entry field with
multiple lines, but nothing typed _within_ a text-entry field will take
you to the end of the document itself.  Of course, control-a and keypad 7,
control-e and keypad 1 are the keys to take you to the top and bottom of
a doc respectively.  If the user finds a normal link is the currently
activated link, then they can use control-e or 1 to get to the bottom
(or use / to search for "submit").  But of course, this means you need a
form with regular links interspersed at various points <shrug>.  I don't
know of any other way to do this, basically the text-entry field works
like the line-editor and the line editor doesn't seem to permit any of
the regular movement keys.  If you can define some keys within the
line-editor to do this, then I think you'll be on your way.

Iffer (address@hidden) said at the Usenet watercooler:
: I'm helping to install Lynx 2-6 on our system at work for a LAN-only set
: of pages.  Most of the pages are very heavily form-based using lots of
: text fields (most of which are not necessarily going to be used before
: the form is processed).  We want to make it easier for the users to
: submit the form without having to scroll through every single text-entry
: field first.  I've tried adding KEYMAPs to the lynx.cfg for some way to
: jump to the last link on the page (the submit button), but nothing seems
: to work.  I've looked everywhere the search engines could find for some
: way to set a hotkey for this purpose, but I haven't been able to find
: anything.  Has anyone come up with a fix for something like this?  Is it
: even possible?

--
address@hidden  +  Lynx 2.6  +  PGP  +  http://www.crl.com/~subir/
America was discovered by Amerigo Vespucci and was named after him,

--
;