LYNX-DEV Ratio of memory used to html file size?

From: David H. West
Subject: LYNX-DEV Ratio of memory used to html file size?
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 96 02:53 CST

Using Lynx 2.5 or 2.5 to view a local html file of size 225kB, I find that
the process size grows to > 5.5MB.  (At that point I killed it because it
had already used about > 10 minutes of cpu time and it was beginning to swap
everything else out.  (Linux 2.0.0, 16Mhz 386SX, 8MB mem.)

Is this ratio of memory used to html file size normal?  If so, I think it
definitely limits the usability of the browser.  For files this size, I'd
happily sacrifice refinements of presentation in order to retain basic
functionality.  (I ended up having to view it with less.)

One other remark: I recently found a site with a link containing an extra space:
   <A href=" http://www.etc.etc";>
Lynx doesn't handle this ("Can't access document"), but the webmaster of the
site containing that link says that his (unnamed) browser has no problem with
it. (He is going to fix it, though.)

-David

If possible, please email (i.e cc) replies to me (address@hidden) -
I'm not subscribed to lynx-dev because of resource limitations.
;
;