Re: LYNX-DEV Odd behavior with lynx2.6

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Odd behavior with lynx2.6
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 18:12:02 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal)) wrote:
>Just on a whim, I fired up my lynxit page (which is found at:
>
>   http://www.slcc.edu/webguide/lynxit.html
>
>) and loaded http://espnet.sportszone.com into it. When it is set for 2.6
>(the default), it pulls up the entry for Dec 18, and when set on 2.5, it
>gets a totally different page! That is strange!

        The vanilla v2.5 has that typo which puts a space instead of
a slash between "Lynx" and the version.  If you use the 'o'ptions
menu to change the "user (A)gent" string to have a space instead
of the (proper) slash, you'll get by the sportszone script with
v2.6 as well (or if you fixed the typo in v2.5, you'll get the
Dec 18 page with that, as with any other version of Lynx which
lacks the typo).  The "Dec 18 entry" is text-oriented, in contrast
to what you get if you trip up the script's effort to detect Lynx.
Perhaps it's not descrimination, but an effort to be Lynx friendly
with a script that needs mending.

                                Fote