Re: LYNX-DEV Password protected pages during -traversal

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Password protected pages during -traversal
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:32:40 -0700

address@hidden (Doug Muth) writes:

>Hi Scott McGee
>>                                                    That makes me
>>wonder if there shouldn't be either a way to specify username/password pairs
>>for a -traversal, or if we should just skip such pages during a -traversal.
>
>       Specifying your username/passphrase on the command line would be a BAD
>idea.  Anyone else on the system could do a `ps -aw` to get your passphrase.

Doug,

We are talking about password protected web pages here. Using your account
login and password on such pages would be a BAD idea. Since I don't do that,
there is no problem with someone doing a ps-aw to get my login and password.
At most, they would get a password and login for some web page. Yes, a
security hole, but then recall my first suggestion was to skip password
protected pages anyway.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,