Re: LYNX-DEV Password protected pages during -traversal

From: Jason Baker
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Password protected pages during -traversal
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:19:12 -0800

Scott McGee (Personal) writes:

> Doug,
>
> We are talking about password protected web pages here. Using your account
> login and password on such pages would be a BAD idea. Since I don't do that,
> there is no problem with someone doing a ps-aw to get my login and password.
> At most, they would get a password and login for some web page. Yes, a
> security hole, but then recall my first suggestion was to skip password
> protected pages anyway.

What about a flag to prompt you immediately for a userid and password
pair?  IE: start lynx, and before you minimize the window, put in the
user and password and lynx will just try those against every page.  The
biggest problem I could see is that it won't know specifically which
host identifier to use them against, but that's not a big deal.

That lets you both check secured pages for bad links, and to keep the
pairs private.

> Scott

Jason

--
 address@hidden                    | To err is human; to really
 Systems Administrator, Information Systems    | bugger things up requires

 print unpack("u","92G5S\=\"!A;F]T:&5R(\'!E<FP\@:&%C:V5R\"address@hidden");
         "Whoa! Could you repeat that in plain DOS?" -- Bob
                 PGP key available from keyservers.