Re: LYNX-DEV pause times in -traversal

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV pause times in -traversal
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 09:46:50 -0700

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) writes:

>> What would others think of skipping the pause during a -traversal? If you
>> don't
>> think you'd like that, how about an additional switch to turn off the pause?
>
>Could it be that these pauses are here to prevent flooding and overwhelming
>a HTTP server?

I don't think so. The pauses occure when informaitional messages are being
displayed, most noticibly when a bad link is encountered. That would seem
to imply that we have a mechanism to help prevent flooding on sites with
lots of bad links, but if you clean them up, you are at Lynx's mercy. That
just doesn't sound likely to me. Rather, I suspect that it is just a by-
product of what we definately want to do in interactive mode being carried
through into automatic (-traversal) mode. In this case, I suspect there is
no need for it, or at least a reasonable case for a mechanism to turn it
off.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,