Re: LYNX-DEV Re: http://www.wfbr.edu/dir/lynx al

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: http://www.wfbr.edu/dir/lynx al
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 16:43:22 -0500 (EST)

Thanh Ma <address@hidden> wrote:

>> >    I presume you mean that it compiled and linked without warnings
>> >or errors, which indeed is good, but try 'z'apping a stalled DNS lookup
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I am not sure what it means and/or how to 'z'ap it ... Please explain.

                     Current Key Map (Lynx Version 2.6FM)

[...]
z           INTERRUPT     interrupt network transmission
[...]

        Assuming you didn't remap INTERRUPT in lynx.cfg, pressing
the 'z' key to 'z'ap a network transmission causes the 'z' to be
loaded into the keyboard input buffer, and at regular intervals
Lynx checks that buffer for the presence of a 'z'.  If present,
Lynx terminates the retrieval and renders as much as was received,
or restores the currently dislayed document if nothing was received
before the 'z'ap.

        When doing a DNS lookup, Lynx has called gethostbyname(),
and normally can't check the buffer for a 'z' until that completes,
or times out if the DNS lookup stalls for some reason.  If Lynx
was built with -DNSL_FORK on Unix, the gethostbyname() call is
done via a fork, so Lynx can alternately check the buffer for a
'z' and the forked process for completion, and thus act on the
'z'ap without having to wait for completion or time out of the
gethostbyname().

        The -DNSL_FORK presently applies only to the gethostbyname()
call in HTDoConnect() in HTTCP.c, not the ones in LYUtils.c associated
with guessing the fully qualified domain name in command line
startfile or 'g'oto strings.

        I have my doubts about that forking code in HTTPC.c being OK
for all of the supported Unix flavors, which is why it's still a
compilation option, and not yet used in LYUtils.c.

        I haven't figured out a reasonable way to do the equivalent
on VMS.

                                Fote