Re: LYNX-DEV Novice Problems

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Novice Problems
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:29:31 +0900 (JST)

> >      I have noticed that other servers have numbers before their links
> > which can be used rather than incessant use of the up and down arrow keys.

Sorry I wasn't able to get to you sooner.  Your questions indicate to me
that you have tried to build a lynx without taking the time to read through
userdefs.h.  Most options can be configured there at compile time, and then
some things can be over-ridden in lynx.cfg or .lynxrc.

The define for getting numbered links is (line 1047, or thereabouts):
#define DEFAULT_KEYPAD_MODE            LINKS_ARE_NUMBERED

> >      The final problem is with users reading local files which we would
> > prefer they do not see (eg. /etc/passwd).  We are in the process of
> > installing shadow passwords but there are other files which are a
> > security hazard.  Is there a way of allowing only .htm or .html files
> > to be read by users (other than anonymous users).

If you are talking about captive accounts, you could run lynx with the
`-validate' runtime switch which would allow only http.

I suspect you also want to disable the `Dired' functions, which are on
by default.  You should edit the top level Makefile (on or around line 114):
# To disable DirEd completely, prepend "#" to this line:
DIRED_SUPPORT     =   -DDIRED_SUPPORT

Most importantly, though, be sure you edit _at least_ userdefs.h, Makefile
and lynx.cfg to get the configuration that suits you.  *Then* come back
to us for help. :-)

__Henry
;
;