Re: LYNX-DEV Building and using Lynx with DECNET emulation

From: Sheldon Bishov, ZKO3-4/W6, dtn 381-0372
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Building and using Lynx with DECNET emulation
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 09:21:03 -0500

Thanks to Al Gilman and Foteos Macrides for your comments and background
information.

Al wrote:
>Does your customer understand that vanilla "out-of-the-box" Lynx
>runs fine without a network?  You don't have to Make a special Lynx
>so long as the pages it navigates use only file: and relative
>URLs to refer to the next place to go.

The problem the user had was the following on run of Lynx.exe:

    %DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image UCX$IPC_SHR
    -CLI-E-IMAGEFNF, image file not
        found DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSLIB]UCX$IPC_SHR.EXE;

and image aborted.

The image we sent out was linked with standard build, which refers to
this file (and also UCX$ACCESS_SHR.EXE) in ucxshr.opt.

Based on your question I went back and tried same build, but just omitted
ucxshr.opt (made it an empty file).  Later, also removed decc.opt.
The final image still worked for network access, but on a host without
UCX I can now use this standard image to view local files.

Map files produced with and without including ucxshr.opt show identical
values for socket routine references (all by the way prefixed with DECC$).

Got the following explanation of what's going on from developer in the
DEC C RTL group:

    The DEC C Runtime Library dynamically activates the routines in
    UCX$IPC_SHR using LIB$FIND_IMAGE_SYMBOL.  If a call is made to one
    of the socket routines and UCX$IPC_SHR fails to load, the error
    condition C$_NO_TCP (Cannot find TCP routine or UCX$IPC_SHR) is raised.
    This error is mapped to an errno value of ENOSYS (Function not
    implemented).

Is it reasonable to assume that the references to the shareable .exes are
the result of the evolution of the build routine from VAX to Alpha, and
across versions of DEC C (have seen that without other freeware)?

At any rate our immediate problem is solved.  The idea of getting the DECNET
emulation to work sounds interesting, but obviously was not addressed
by the tweaking I did!

Again, thanks for the input.

Sheldon
;