LYNX-DEV Re: <BASE> bug (versions 2.5 and 2.6)

From: redistribution point
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: <BASE> bug (versions 2.5 and 2.6)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 97 22:50 EST

I wrote:
> This is a bug. Like brain dead comment parsing, it may be useful
> to have lynx optionally work this way, it is not something that
> should always be.
> This is in violation of the HTML 2.0 specs. Look at
> <URL:http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html#SEC5.2.2>
> and notice the sentence "The value of the HREF attribute must be
> an absolute URI."

Al Gilman <address@hidden> replied:
: Yes, but the standard does not control what a browser does when the
: text fails to meet this requirement.

The standard doesn't say it is alright to emmulate the Netscape/Mosaic
missing close quote bug, yet lynx is happy to do that, with the proper
option, and happy not to do it, without the option. Lynx's behavior on
this issue is not in accordance to the way other browsers work and is
at best a last ditch recovery effort from a problem, so it should only
be enabled by explicit option.

Elijah
------
please do not CC me when replying to the list

;
;