Re: LYNX-DEV entering url into bookmark file

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV entering url into bookmark file
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 08:36:48 -0500 (EST)

  From: "W. Robert Arnold" <address@hidden>

  I would like to know how to enter a URL in the Bookmark
  File without having to go to the address first.  Some
  addresses do not let you have the original URL but
  only buttons for subsequent links.  The editor function
  is disabled at the moment so that may be the problem.

The Bookmark file is an HTML text file that you can edit with any
text editor.  A bookmark entry is a list element in an unordered
list -- it is easy to copy the pattern.  Use the "view source"
command '\' to see yours.

All that said, I do not know how the Victoria Freenet is set up,
so I don't know if you can get to an editor to run it.  You will
have to ask the freenet operators how it works, this is something
outside Lynx.  If the "edit" command is turned off within Lynx,
there may be no way for you to edit outside Lynx, either.

I still don't understand why you don't want to g)o to the URL
first, to be sure it works, before saving it in your bookmark
file so you can go _back there again_.  When you a)dd a link, you
have the option to set a bookmark at the current d)ocument --
i.e. the page you have open.

The language:
                                                   Some
  addresses do not let you have the original URL but
  only buttons for subsequent links.

does not make sense.  If you can get to the page at all, you
can find the URL to g)o back there with the '=' command.

Al Gilman