LYNX-DEV Java, etc.

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: LYNX-DEV Java, etc.
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:18:17 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

Back in August (according to a quick search of the archives) there was
some discussion of porting Java (& Perl & Python, etc.) to lynx, but
as far as I can tell, nothing ever came of it.  I'd like to do this as
part of my MS in CS, and would like some input so that I can get a
proposal together.

1)  Is there anyone currently working on this?

2)  Does anyone have any *specific* examples of Java applets (or Perl...)
that they find useful and that would be even more useful in lynx?

3)  The discussion in August mentioned two approaches:  If the user was
on an xterm, then a Java (or whatever) viewer could pop up and the applet
be displayed & interacted with.  Contrariwise, the applet could be reduced
to what could be represented in  curses/slang and forget about most
of the graphics.  (Does anyone know of a useful applet that isn't graphic-
dependent?)

The former would be easier, the latter more useful (or, at least, what
utility it would have would be more widepread.  Both would be ideal.
Opinions?

Barry Rountree
address@hidden

;