Re: LYNX-DEV numbered linx: 2 suggestions

From: gregory j. rosmaita
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV numbered linx: 2 suggestions
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 01:22:58 -0500 (EST)

aloha, philip!

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Philip Webb wrote:
> -- someone suggested it mt be a problem for the blind: wd it?

no, not in any wise (although it did take me a couple of listens to figure
out exactly what it was you were asking--abbreviations, like emoticons, do
not work well with speech synthesis)

are you suggesting that individual form elements be numbered (i.e. each
checkbox, radio button, submit/reset button) and that one would be able to
move the cursor/activate the choice associated with that number by typing
it in?  this might be a great aid to blind persons attempting to fill out
visually oriented forms (i.e. those which contain several options on a
single line)

i still favor the idea of a compile-time switch and/or (but prefereably
and) a lynx.cfg file option that allows the speech user to force lynx to
display checkboxes, radio buttons, and the like on single lines, much like
the multiple-select option to checkbox feature...

> -- i suspect there is some idea out there that numbering links is for novices,
>    so that these small improvements have been overlooked.

i don't think this is a common conception at all--i know a large number of
sighted "power users" who use numbered links...

gregory.

address@hidden
              http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html
                                                    address@hidden