Re: LYNX-DEV numbered linx: 2 suggestions

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV numbered linx: 2 suggestions
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 18:30:35 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>I haven't heard a reply to my suggestion that typing a link number
>should take you to the given link but not enter it.  Then if forms
>and buttons are numbered, the behavior wouldn't have to be special cased.

        Your suggestion is contrary to the logic of the current Lynx API,
and meaning of a back command.  Lynx keeps track of the HText line number
positioned at the top of the currently displayed page, and the display_page()
function orders hypertext links and form fields *within* the displayed page,
relative to that line.  The HYpertext links and form fields associated with
HText structures are kept in separate structures, and coordinated
independently in conjunction with individual page displays.

        When you enter a back command, that means retrieve the HText
structure for the previous document, construct a page display beginning at
that saved line number, and position the cursor on the saved *relative* link
number or form fieild within that display.  If you left that document by
entering an *absolute* link number, that's equivalent to having left by
entering a 'g'oto URL or 'j'ump shortcut.  Lynx has no way to relate it
back to its page display procedures, nor does it have a way to treat
hypertext links and form fields as a single ordinal continuum.  It's
another one of those cases in which what users imagine Lynx is doing while
using Lynx in fact is not as all what Lynx is doing.  Sorry...

                                Fote