Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2-6FM (01-10-97) SIGSEGV crash

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2-6FM (01-10-97) SIGSEGV crash
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 13:01:11 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:

> I don't have any ideas but a small nit.
> I use 'lynx -book'.  It's shorter than typing .lynx_bookmarks.html
> and picks up the right file in case it's redefined.

Funny, lynx -book doesn't crash either. Thanks. But lynx
lynx_bookmarks.html is sorter for me, because I use just
ly<TAB>ly<TAB><ENTER> in bash.. :-)

>       I can't reproduce that problem with my VMS, solaris2, or osf
> images, but as I posted a while back there's something wrong as of v2.6
> with the title handling, and I from time to time get crashes in
> display_title() of GridText.c.  They don't occur in debug images, nor
> with trace on, so it must be a memory management problem that's brought
> on with optimization (we added -O for all targets as of v2.6), and is
> masked by preceding output associated with trace mode.  I still don't
> have a clue what's behind it, and it's kinda hard to track down if it's
> not evident in debug images or with trace on.  Sigh...

I'll try to compile it without -O (I tried -O and -O3, both behaves the
same), and let you know what happens. I thought it might be something like
the sig11 error you get when compliling Linux kernel on a PC with bad
SIMMs, but I tried it on two Linux boxes and all the same.

Fote, I can make you a temporrary account on on of our Linux boxes, if you
want to have a look at it..

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden