Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and Tables, embedded and otherwise

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and Tables, embedded and otherwise
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:56:08 -0800

> From address@hidden Sun Jan 12 12:37:49 1997
> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:12:12 -0600
>
> When do you think Lynx will support Tables? We have a need for a text based
> browser that can support tables and embedded tables.
>
> Best regards,
> Ed Haletky
> AstroArch Consulting, Inc.
>
> ;
> ; To UNSUBSCRIBE:  Send a mail message to address@hidden
> ;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-dev" (without the
> ;                  quotation marks) on a line by itself.
> ;

Just the subject I need: tables, cookies, etc.

Here is paragraph from email from a friend just two minutes ago:

  Have you seen the new
personal page that Yahoo offers? (http://my.yahoo.com)?  It incorporates the
Firefly intelligent agent developed by the Media Lab at MIT.  Tell it what
websites appeal to you, and it searches for others which match your profile.
Pretty clever.

So, lynxed to my.yahoo.com.  Here is what I saw:
(note: I don't know cookies from chocolate cake!)

   Welcome to My Yahoo!

  My Yahoo! requires cookies

   Unfortunately, My Yahoo!! currently requires a web browser which
   supports--among other things--``[1]cookies'' and tables. Some browsers
   which support both cookies and tables are [2]Netscape [3]Navigator,
   [4]Microsoft [5]Internet Explorer 2.0 or newer, and [6]NetManage
   [7]WebSurfer 5.01.2 or newer.

   For those who are technically inclined and particularly interested,
   the full and gory details as to which particular browsers support
   cookies can be found [8]here.

    [9]Yahoo!     Copyright ) 1994-1996 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
               Send comments and bug reports to [10]feedback.
                        [11][ISMAP]-[12]Change User

So I linked to [8]:

<snip>
[66]Lynx 2-4-1  libwww 2.14
                     1 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[67]Lynx 2-4-2  libwww 2.14
                    17 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[68]Lynx 2.3-FM  libwww 2.14
                     1 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[69]Lynx 2.3.7 BETA  libwww unknown
                     1 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[70]Lynx 2.3 BETA  libwww 2.14
                     2 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[71]Lynx 2.3  libwww 2.14
                     1 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[72]Lynx 2.4-FM  libwww-FM 2.14
                     3 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[73]Lynx 2.4-FM  libwww 2.14
                     2 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[74]Lynx 2.4AM
                     1 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[75]Lynx 2.5FM  libwww-FM 2.14
                     6 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[76]Lynx 2.5  libwww-FM 2.14
                    35 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[77]Lynx 2.6  libwww-FM 2.14
                    27 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

<snip>

Then I linked to [77]:

                       Form Test Results for Lynx 2.6  libwww-FM 2.14 (p1 of 2)

                 Form Test Results for Lynx 2.6 libwww-FM 2.14

Test Results

   To get statistics and information about a test, click on its name.
Test Name         Count  %   Test Result
[1]CharAmpersand       23 100%  OK

[2]CharEqual           20 100%  OK

[3]CharOther           20 100%  OK

[4]CharPercent         20 100%  OK

[5]HiddenData           4  13%  <INPUT TYPE="hidden"> not supported
                    25  86%  OK

[6]HiddenLines          3   9%  RETURN obscures data
                     4  12%  RETURN submits form
                    25  78%  OK

[7]ImageInput           8  28%  <INPUT TYPE="image"> not supported
                    20  71%  OK

[8]MultiSelect         27 100%  OK

[9]MultipleTextarea    27 100%  OK

[10]NamedSubmit          3  10%  Named submit buttons not supported
                    26  89%  OK

[11]NetscapeCookie      27 100%  HTTP Cookie not supported

[12]NewlineChar          2   6%  Browser doesn't support newline in <TEXTAREA>
                     1   3%  name/value pair not in query
                    26  89%  Browser uses LF in <TEXTAREA>

[13]NoSelection         27 100%  OK

[14]NullOption          27 100%  OK

[15]NullOption2         27 100%  OK

[16]NullOptionValue     27 100%  OK

[17]OptionValue         27 100%  OK

[18]Referer              1   3%  HTTP Referer not supported
                    26  96%  OK

[19]SelectBlanks        27 100%  OK

[20]TextareaValue       27 100%  OK

Notes

   Tests that show 100% results (whether OK or not) indicate that the
--

                       Form Test Results for Lynx 2.6  libwww-FM 2.14 (p2 of 2)
   browser behaved consistently. Some tests may return multiple results,

   If the results were unevenly mixed among several results, either the
   browser gave inconsistent results (unlikely), or the users didn't
   always follow the instructions (possible), or the instructions were
   poorly written (quite likely).

   Most tests can be affected by user input during the survey.