LYNX-DEV Interesting lynx 2.6FM core dump

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: LYNX-DEV Interesting lynx 2.6FM core dump
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 09:35:32 -0500

I was attempting to access a survey on <URL:http://www.npd.com/survey>.
It appears they have their site hosed up, because instead of executing
a cgi, the server servers the file up as a x-perl data type.  Lynx
asks if I want to download or cancel.  I chose download, the file
downloaded, and lynx provided me the download menu.  I chose the option
to save it and when I did I got the msg:
 Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.6FM

Please notify your system administrator to confirm a bug, and
if confirmed, to notify the lynx-dev list.  Bug reports should
have concise descriptions of the command and/or URL which causes
the problem, the operating system name with version number, the
TCPIP implementation, and any other relevant information.

Do NOT mail the core file if one was generated.

Lynx now exiting with signal:  11

Abort(coredump)

I then dropped into the debugger, but since I compiled the executable
in optimized format, I didn't get much useful info.

lwv26awm (11588) $ file core
core:           ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'lynx'
lwv26awm (11589) $ dbx $(whence lynx) core
where
Reading symbolic information for lynx
core file header read successfully
Reading symbolic information for rtld /usr/lib/ld.so.1
Reading symbolic information for libncurses.so.3.4
Reading symbolic information for libnsl.so.1
Reading symbolic information for libsocket.so.1
Reading symbolic information for libc.so.1
Reading symbolic information for libdl.so.1
Reading symbolic information for libintl.so.1
Reading symbolic information for libw.so.1
Reading symbolic information for nss_nis.so.1
program terminated by signal ABRT (Abort)
(dbx 1) where
=>[1] _kill(0x0, 0x6, 0x1, 0xef67e2e0, 0xef680da8, 0x40f8), at 0xef661e24
  [2] abort(0xb, 0xe6ec8, 0xc9000, 0xe6ed8, 0x1, 0x0), at 0xef62d894
  ---- called from signal handler with signal 11 (SIGSEGV) ------
  [3] 0xd2a30(), at 0xd2a2f
  [4] 0x1fb4c(0xdde48, 0xf17d4, 0xefffda70, 0x6, 0x11c360, 0x0), at 0x1fb4b
  [5] HText_pageDisplay(0x1, 0xefffda70, 0xdc2d8, 0x0, 0x73000000, 0x73000000),
at 0x22a48
  [6] mainloop(0xe7768, 0xdde30, 0xdde2c, 0xdde34, 0xdde3c, 0xdde40), at 0x2e838
  [7] main(0xc7400, 0xc7400, 0xc77d4, 0x0, 0xc7400, 0xc7400), at 0x2ae8c

Next, I decided to try again and turn on trace.  This time, I got:
YNXDOWNLOAD://Method=-1/File=/tmp/L152946TMP.perl/SugFile=login.perl          L
YGetFile: getting LYNXDOWNLOAD://Method=-1/File=/tmp/L152946TMP.perl/SugFile=log
in.perl

Saving...command: /bin/cp /tmp/L152946TMP.perl '/ldata2/gnu/login.perl'

A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.6FM

Please notify your system administrator to confirm a bug, and
if confirmed, to notify the lynx-dev list.  Bug reports should
have concise descriptions of the command and/or URL which causes
the problem, the operating system name with version number, the
TCPIP implementation, and any other relevant information.

Do NOT mail the core file if one was generated.

Lynx now exiting with signal:  11

Abort(coredump)

I don't think this is providing much useful info.  I suspect that I am
going to have to recompile with debugging left in.

When I have more info, I will pass it along.
;