Re: LYNX-DEV some text is dissappearing

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV some text is dissappearing
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:51:31 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> I am having trouble using LYNX...  It seems that certain parts of the
> text are not appearing...  About one word in fifty does not show up on
> the screen..  I know that it is there because if I send that page to my
> E-mail address the missing word(s) show up there...  It is a hassle
> because I often have to guess at what that word is...  I have tried to
> change the terminal emulation in my communication software and to change
> the color setings (thinking that both the words and the background were
> set at black) but so far have had no success...  Is there an option
> setting in LYNX that I may have to change?

A likely cause is that you are using a buggy or improperly configured
terminal emulator that converts recieved line feeds to carriage-return
line-feed pairs. Lynx is probably set up to use the curses or ncurses
screen-optimization libraries, which rely on linefeeds moving the cursor
down one line on the screen. Several terminal programs for PCs (most
notably EWAN) have this translation enabled by default. If you need help
disabling it, or if that doesn't seem to be the problem, write another
letter.

Another possibility is that your terminal (emulator?) and
screen-optimization librairies don't agree on where your terminal's tab
stops are. If that's a problem, it may be fixable using the TERMCAP
environment variable on unixish systems. If all else fails, try using a
different terminal emulator. Some of them are fairly buggy.

I hope this helps.
--
Benjamin C. W. Sittler / address@hidden / my homepage just got simpler!
                                            http://www.nmt.edu/~bsittler/