Re: LYNX-DEV telnet lynx.browser.org 80 question

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV telnet lynx.browser.org 80 question
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 19:16:02 -0500 (EST)

Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
>I was trying to diagnose a problem the other day and wanted to grab a copy
>of the lynx home page.  No matter how many times I tried, using:
>
>telnet lynx.browser.org 80 >test.htm
>
>and then issuing a GET /^M^M never gets me the whole page.  Is there some
>kind of server quirk going on there or something on my end?  Is
>lynx.browser.org freebsd?  I seem to be able to reproduce this problem
>with other freebsd servers as well.  Other sites local and far away seem
>to work OK with this method.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

        You're sending an HTTP/0.9 request.  It worked when I tried
it via Scott's SPARC (SunOS 5.4), but not via other systems.  However,
an HTTP/1.0 request appears to work reliably:

        GET / HTTP/1.0CRLFCFLF

It's probably getting getting tripped up by non-ASCII newlines where
it's expecting the http version field.

                                Fote