Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2-6FM w. COOKIES

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2-6FM w. COOKIES
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:35:05 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone has worked out yet how to share cookies from
>netscape with Lynx?  It appears that lynx 2.6FM isn't saving cookies ; is
>there at least a way to have it read netscape's cookies?

        Saving cookies in a file and retrieving them for subsequent
sessions is in the TODO list at the top of LYCookie.c (Did you read
it, as instructed in the CHANGES file?).  I'm concentrating on getting
the within-session State Management and security consideration squared
away.  Perhaps Andrew will then extend that for inter-session support.
But we'd have to process the Netscape Expires headers, or the cookies
will persist forever, instead of all just crumbling at the end of the
Lynx session.

        We also need to add editing of the cookies via the Cookie Jar
Page, i.e., when a user activates links in that page, it should prompt
"D)elete, E)dit or C)ancel? ", but I'm still thinking about how to
check for nonsense cookies naive users might create.  Perhaps Andrew
has thoughts about that.

        I don't know how wise it would be to use the Netscape cookie
file format, and thus tie Lynx to a "historical" implementation.

                                Fote