Re: LYNX-DEV HTML Form Test

From: Andrew Kuchling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HTML Form Test
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:52:05 -0500 (EST)

> However, the IEFT draft says the using "; $foo=blah" for the extensions,
> instead of just "; foo=blah" (i.e., '$' prefixes for each name in the
> extended name=value pairs), makes them backward compatible for Netscape.
> Sigh...

        The draft says that browsers should always include the $Path
and $Domain attributes, but some cookie parsers break on the extra
information; the one we use here at Magnet did, for one, and so does
the example at <URL:http://www.illuminatus.com/cookie>, which was
pointed out by Roger Hill (thanks, Roger!).  So, though one should
complain to people with broken cookie CGIs, another course might be to
suppress the output of those attributes if it's a historical cookie
(the version field is be zero).  I've included a patch below that does
this.

        Notice that the Cyberdog browser is also reported as being in
error at the research.digital.com site, and Cyberdog seems to
implement the IETF draft, too.  So hopefully sites that use cookies
will soon make their code more robust as the draft becomes more widely
implemented.

        Andrew Kuchling
        address@hidden
        http://www.magnet.com/~amk/
Save the Gutenberg Project! http://www.promo.net/pg/nl/pgny_nov96.html

diff -C2 -r1.1 LYCookie.c
*** LYCookie.c  1997/01/21 16:14:42     1.1
--- LYCookie.c  1997/01/21 16:14:57
***************
*** 429,437 ****
            StrAllocCat(header, "=");
            StrAllocCat(header, co->value);
!           if (co->path) {
                StrAllocCat(header, "; $Path=");
                StrAllocCat(header, co->path);
            }
!           if (co->domain) {
                StrAllocCat(header, "; $Domain=");
                StrAllocCat(header, co->domain);
--- 429,437 ----
            StrAllocCat(header, "=");
            StrAllocCat(header, co->value);
!           if (co->version>0 && co->path) {
                StrAllocCat(header, "; $Path=");
                StrAllocCat(header, co->path);
            }
!           if (co->version>0 && co->domain) {
                StrAllocCat(header, "; $Domain=");
                StrAllocCat(header, co->domain);
;
;