Re: LYNX-DEV colors in lynx 2.6

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV colors in lynx 2.6
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 13:35:07 -0500 (EST)

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:26:17 -0500 (EST)
> slang is at space.mit.edu:/pub/davis
>
> You can easily find if your binaries were linked with slang by doing ldd
> on the binaries (in case they were dynamically linked) or with strings
> (if they were statically linked) - look for some (mixed case) variation of
> "slang".

I tried both.  The binaries apparently were not compiled with slang.
When whoever builds the binaries for the next release, it would be nice
if they were compiled with slang and whatever else is needed to support
all the nifty features.

> Slang's not documented.  I made a patch for lynx 2.6 using ncurses 4.0 last
> week that does the equivalent.  Basically all it's (slang) doing is mapping
> the
> 8 combinations of bold/underline/reverse into colors (more than 8, because
> backgrounds are treated specially).  So you have to read the source code to
> figure out what the mapping is.

Ok, I grepped through all the .[ch] source files for color and found
the mapping in some of the comments.  It would be nice if these comments
were in lynx.cfg.

I got slang, but maybe it would be better to have your patches.
Where are they?
(I didn't want to build this thing from scratch and read the INSTALLATION
stuff and all, but it looks like I won't get the color stuff unless I do.
Sigh.)

Thanks.
--le
;