Re: LYNX-DEV colors in lynx 2.6

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV colors in lynx 2.6
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:33:24 +0900 (JST)

> What I really wanted to do is change reverse video to something that's
> easier to see.

I think you are interested in color 6.

> What are the COLOR defaults supposed to do?

Klaus Weide posted a great treatise about slang as it relates to Lynx.  It
will give you a lot of technical insite as well as down-to-earth information.
Get it from or read it at:
        http://lynx.cc.ukans.edu/lynx-dev/9609/0027.html
If you have trouble getting it, I have an edited copy.  Just write to me.

People have asked in the past what I have in my lynx.cfg.  Really, what you
put in there should be YOUR personal preference.  I find the following easiest
on the eyes:
COLOR:0:green:black
COLOR:1:cyan:black
COLOR:2:brown:black
COLOR:3:magenta:black
COLOR:4:green:black
COLOR:5:red:black
COLOR:6:gray:black
COLOR:7:brightblue:black

Colors 3 and 7 are not mapped to anything in the standard Lynx.  The above
color scheme gives you green text, light blue links and <h?> tags, green
numbers (if you have links numbered), gray selected links, brown (soft
yellow) messages, and red links or <h?> tags embedded in <i> tags.  My
terminal doesn't seem to know about background color so I cannot say anything
about that.  This is in layman's terms.  I highly recommend your reading
Klaus' post to get a feel for what really is happening in slang color support
for Lynx.

For those who would like to see what Rob's color support using ncurses (Yes,
it's also available for slang.) is before investing a lot of time in it, I've
got his early patch on the September Lynx2.6 running publically.  You'll have
to log on at a time that is busy neither in Japan (22:00-05:00 JST) nor in
your country.  (Even then it may time out.)
        telnet 163.51.110.11
        login as `lynx'
        enter your terminal emulation.  Do not hit return for the default
                vt100 because this will not give you color.  `linux' and most
                of the various `ansi' terminal database files will give you
                color.  I have the entire terminfo database on the machine,
                so if you know what to enter, go ahead.  (However, if you enter
                something which is not supported the session will die.)
If you go to the `This Lynx' link from the welcome page, and then select the
`lynx.cfg 中のスタイル:色の例' link (Don't let the Japanese freak you
out.)
you can see what I presently have in my lynx.cfg as to `STYLE:ELEMENT:normal:
lightgray:black' settings.  This is just what I put together, and most certainly
leaves out, or comments out many of the HTML elements supported in Rob's present
work.  I'll try to update it one of these days.  It's also available by http
(http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/lycfg_styles.html), but I recommend that you get
Rob's if possible.

__Henry
;