Re: LYNX-DEV Proceeding without user/pw auth - Netscape Can, Lynx Can't

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Proceeding without user/pw auth - Netscape Can, Lynx Can't
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:13:15 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Tom Zerucha <address@hidden> wrote:

> >What follows is the page it comes back with (that lynx doesn't display)

> >size=5>Click Here for Free Services</font></a> </h1>

>       I just registered, received the authorization info by email,
> followed it's instructions, and its taking my username and password
> and letting me in without any problems.

The problem is that I *DON'T* want to register, I want to take the free
services link.

>       Did you consider the possibilities offered in the 401 message?
> It's not using cookies or SSL, so those shouldn't be factors, though
> I did have the cookie and SSL support on when I tried it with Lynx.
> It's also using "basic" authentication, so the present lack of
> "digest" authentication in Lynx shouldn't be a problem (but it will
> be, in due time).
>
>                               Fote

It is returning a 401 Unauth message AND a fully functional HTML page.
Lynx will not display the HTML, so I can't go there.  What would happen if
the only way to register was through a link from such a page (with the
401 code)?  I don't think you could get through with Lynx.  I know it
might not be good practice to put HTML documents in anything but 2xx
return code headers, but quote.com did.

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;