Autoconf (Was: LYNX-DEV Getting Problem in lynx2-6)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Autoconf (Was: LYNX-DEV Getting Problem in lynx2-6)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 07:51:53 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
> > Shouldn't this be done during a make (hint to the
> > great-wizard-of-Makefile-reform)?
> Sure wish I knew how it could.  However, it would take a rewrite of
> the entire userdefs.h/Makefile concept to something like automake to get
> that to work.  I've never done one of those and so it probably won't happen
> soon by my hand.  However, if anyone out there has ever made such a change,
> and ensured that it is portable to all the OSes currently supported by
> Lynx, go to it!

I'm not a wizard of Makefiles, either, but there's been this nagging
thought in my mind (suggested by Fote around September) that we need to
redo the Lynx code base to support autoconfigure.  I looked at
WWW/Library/Implementation/tcp.h and grew pale.

However, perhaps a team effort here with coders who knew more than one
platform could go for this.  I've worked in SVR3 and BSD, so I'm willing
to help.  The benefits of this are easier installations by novices,
possible support of more platforms, compatibility with future systems,
etc.

Comments?

-----

WdUS{+X2e6mt${6._[/<C5~mEVeY5J1,6>U%N~y"Br4L6Lm%S0XI8RRTs"'address@hidden@address@hidden'"
 cKd3Acq&}J;,FhT"6d1[H=*<;o2?Z_RK&He4+Td%v3:47/5;A>0mBqsG-KB8l:\43FGDe;U
I don't speak (or work) for the Baltimore County Public Library.
They keep telling me, "Shhhhh!"

;
;