Re: LYNX-DEV "bad html"

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV "bad html"
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 10:02:56 -0500 (EST)

  From: Laura Eaves <address@hidden>

  I heard there was a web page for qvc and thought I'd try shopping there.
  (Should I admit this?...:-)  The url is http://www.qvc.com.
  ... When I hit the submit button, lynx said "bad html".

  I sent email to their webmaster, but thought I'd also mention it here.
  Does someone have time to check out this page?
  What is the best way to report such things?  Would it be better if I
  saved the page's html and sent it to someone?
  (I haven't learned html (yet) so don't know what to look for.)

Laura:

When writing to the webmaster, did you mention the validation
resources available on the Web?  One other example letter is found
at

   Linkname: model letter to lynx-unfriendly site
   Filename: http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1196/msg00236.html

Given that QVC is offering to take your money, you need not limit
yourself to writing to their webmaster.  The president of QVC
and their order-taking 800 number suggest themselves as where to
send the message that their WebSite is turning away customers.

Yes, it is probably best not to burden lynx-dev with reports of
every bad page on the web.

This is a good application for a mail-to-Web server (such as Hypermail
or MHonArc) which archives mail that is _not_ distributed, but follow-
ups are posted when those who are interested look into the problems
at some site.  In particular, if there were some efficient way to
get sites on a "most improved" list when they take appropriate action,
there would be a carrot as well as a stick.

One could approach Adam Gaffin and see if he is still interested in
this topic.

I recently learned about the "Best with Any Browser" activity -- that
may well be a better approach than tying complaints about bad
HTML to the Lynx name.

--
Al Gilman
;