Re: LYNX-DEV Anyone using Solaris 2.5.1 out there?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Anyone using Solaris 2.5.1 out there?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 08:07:21 -0800

> From address@hidden Sat Jan 25 20:10:58 1997
> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 22:25:30 -0500
> From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)
>
> Well, I've been trying to build lynx 2.6FM with Solaris 2.5.1.  I've
> been struggling all day with this.
>
> It's been a battle of inches.  Sun now distributes a /bin/patch
> that doesn't know about the patch format that ncurses uses. That
> stymied me for a while, since my build process was looking for a Solaris
> 2.5.1 version of ncurses to build lynx.  Finally, I got gnu patch
> to work just fine, built a fresh version of ncurses, installed it,
> created the link for ncurses/curses.h and the lynx Makefile created
> all the .o files.  But for some reason, the link step for lynx thinks
> it needs to go to /usr/ccs/lib instead of my GNU directory when linking
> in the ncurses and gives me errors about finding different sizes
> functions in the two directories.

This sun-Solaris is a just plain bitch to make systems
for.  I myself am at this very moment having difficulties
making Perl5.003.  Pretty much anything that works right off
on sunOS 4.x fails on Solaris 2.x, needs tweaking, etc,
by someone who KNOWS what he/she is doing (which I do not).

SOMEONE, please (maybe Larry V?) come up with a "cookbook"
faq for how to make Lynx (or anything else time & effort
allows: perl, python,
anything oft-used but that DOESN'T work 100% by a simple
"configure; make" pair).

Is there anyway that such solaris experience (tweaking, etc)
can lead to makefile, etc, that automataically does its own
tweaking?

---

Unfortunately, the truth probably lies near Einstein's
statement (probably I misquote it) "Make everything as
simple as possible --- but no simpler."

;
;